Kimberly Hoang, MD
Emory University Department of Neurosurgery
- BS, Ohio State University, 2008
- MD, Ohio State University, 2012
- Residency, Duke University, 2018
- Neuro-oncology Fellowship, MD Anderson Cancer Center - Houston, TX, 2019
- Surgical Excellence Award, Duke University Department of Neurosurgery 2018, Chief’s Dinner
- Science of Neurosurgical Practice (NREF Course), First place team proposal for multi-site neuro-oncology proposal (2014)
- Duke Evidence Based Medicine Course, Scholarship recipient (2016)
- Ohio State Neurosurgery Department Award (2012), Ohio State College of Medicine, Outstanding Academic Scholar (2009-2011)
- Ansel Scholarship, Bradfield-Waltrous Scholarship (2010-2011), Nu Sigma Nu Alumni Scholarship Fund (2009-2010)
- American Medical Assoc. MSS Joint Resident / Medical Student Research Symposium Podium Presentation, 1st place winner, (2009)
- Patient Centered Research Ethics Competition, 1st place, OSU Medical Center Research Day presentation
- Roessler Research Grant and AOA Carole Kuckein Research Award
- Dow Chemical OSU Dept of Chemical Engineering Outstanding Junior of the Year Award
- Cranial neuro-oncology (awake craniotomy, intraoperative mapping), endoscopic endonasal surgery, minimally invasive cranial surgery
- Spinal oncology, minimally invasive spinal surgery (lumbar and thoracic XLIF, endoscopic decompression, oblique lateral interbody fusion)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
PUBLICATIONS Peer Reviewed
- Hoang, Kimberly B., Catherine Wallace, Weston Ross, Matt Tucker, Westin Hill, and Patrick Codd. “What Is the Future of Cranial Robotics? Evaluating the State of the Art with Needs-Based Design Analysis and Economic Market Analysis.” American Journal of Surgery. Submitted (2018): 25.
- Weston Ross, Westin Hill, Hoang, Kimberly B. Avra Laaraaker, Patrick Codd, and Brian Mann. “Automating Robotic Neurosurgical Tumor Resection Surgery: Volumetric Laser Ablation of Cadaveric Porcine Brain with Integrated Surface Mapping.” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, (Jul 2018).
- Hoang, Kimberly B., Dennis A. Turner. “The Emerging Role of Adaptive Modulation of Clinical Brain Stimulation.” Neurosurgery, Submitted (2018)
- Hoang, Kimberly B., Alexa Bramall, Theresa Williamson, Aladine Elsamadicy, Robert E. Isaacs, and Muhammad Abd-El-Barr. “Percutaneous Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PTLIF) for Treatment of Traumatic Fracture and Spondylolisthesis.” Operative Neurosurgery. Submitted. (2018).
- Hoang, Kimberly B., Isaac R. Cassar, Warren M. Grill, and Dennis A. Turner. “Biomarkers and Stimulation Algorithms for Adaptive Brain Stimulation.” Frontiers in Neuroscience 11 (2017): 564.
- Hoang, Kimberly B., Hanna Kemeny, John Berry-Candelario, and Patrick Codd. “Keyhole Minicraniotomy Middle Fossa Approach for Tegmen Tympani Defect Repair.” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, Submitted (2018).
- Hoang, Kimberly B., Allan Friedman, Gal Sela, and Cameron Piron. “Recent Advances in Neuronavigation for Brain Tumors.” Book Chapter, Advances in Brain Cancer for Clinicians and Scientists. 2017. Elsevier Publishing.
- Marc Moisi, Hoang, Kimberly B., R. Shane Tubbs, Jeni Page, Christian Fisahn, David Paulson, Shiveindra Jeyamohan, et al. “Advancement of Surgical Visualization Methods: Comparison Study Between Traditional Microscopic Surgery and a Novel Robotic Optoelectronic Visualization Tool for Spinal Surgery.” World Neurosurgery 98 (February 2017): 273–77.
- Hoang, Kimberly B., Kristopher G. Hooten, and Carrie R. Muh. “Shunt Freedom and Clinical Resolution of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension after Bariatric Surgery in the Pediatric Population: Report of 3 Cases.” Journal of Neurosurgery. Pediatrics 20, no. 6 (December 2017): 511–16.
- Marc Moisi, Christian Fisahn, Hoang, Kimberly B., Buchanan Patrick, Klinger Daniel, Tubbs R. Shane, Page Jeni, Cobbs C, Backous D, and Delashaw J. “Advancement of Surgical Visualization Methods: A Comparison Study between Traditional Microscopic Surgery, the Endoscope and a Novel Robotic Optoelectronic Visualization Tool for Them Transnasal Transsphenoidal Approach to the Sellar Region.” Journal of Spine & Neurosurgery 06, no. 02 (2017).
- Hoang, Kimberly B., Jordan Komisarow, and Jacquelyn Corley. “Correspondence on ‘Validation of the Supplemented Spetzler-Martin Grading System for Brain Arteriovenous Malformations in a Multicenter Cohort of 1009 Surgical Patients. Neurosurgery. 2015;76(1):25-31.’ May 2016 Journal Club Runner-up: Duke Medical Center.” Neurosurgery, May 2016.
- Adogwa, Owoicho, Kevin Carr, Paul Thompson, Kimberly Hoang, Timothy Darlington, Edgar Perez, Parastou Fatemi, Oren Gottfried, Joseph Cheng, and Robert E. Isaacs. “A Prospective, Multi-Institutional Comparative Effectiveness Study of Lumbar Spine Surgery in Morbidly
- Obese Patients: Does Minimally Invasive Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion Result in Superior Outcomes?” World Neurosurgery 83, no. 5 (May 2015): 860–66.
- Adogwa, Owoicho, Terence Verla, Paul Thompson, Anirudh Penumaka, Katherine Kudyba, Kwame Johnson, Erin Fulchiero, et al. “Affective Disorders Influence Clinical Outcomes after Revision Lumbar Surgery in Elderly Patients with Symptomatic Adjacent-Segment Disease, Recurrent Stenosis, or Pseudarthrosis: Clinical Article.” Journal of Neurosurgery. Spine 21, no. 2 (August 2014): 153–59.
- Tajima G, Delisle AJ, Kimberly Hoang, O’Leary FM, Ikeda K, Hanschen M, et al: Immune System Phenotyping of Radiation and Radiation Combined Injury in Outbred Mice. Radiat Res 179:101–112, 2013
- Ng, Vincent Y., David Lustenberger, Kimberly Hoang, Ryan Urchek, Matthew Beal, Jason H. Calhoun, and Andrew H. Glassman. “Preoperative Risk Stratification and Risk Reduction for Total Joint Reconstruction: AAOS Exhibit Selection.” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume 95, no. 4 (February 20, 2013): e191-115.
- Hanschen, Marc, Goro Tajima, Fionnuala O’Leary, Kimberly Hoang, Kimiko Ikeda, and James A. Lederer. “Phospho-Flow Cytometry Based Analysis of Differences in T Cell Receptor Signaling between Regulatory T Cells and CD4+ T Cells.” Journal of Immunological Methods 376, no. 1–2 (February 28, 2012): 1–12.
- Litzendorf, Maria, Kimberly Hoang, and Patrick Vaccaro. “Recurrent and Extensive Vascular Malformations in a Patient with Bannayan--Riley--Ruvalcaba Syndrome.” Annals of Vascular Surgery 25, no. 8 (November 2011): 1138.e15-19.
PUBLICATIONS Non-Peer Reviewed
- Hoang, Kimberly B., Timotheus Gmeiner, and Fergal Kearns. “A 3D Clinical Skills Trainer for the Adoption of Monoscopic Visualization.” Technical Report. Synaptive White Paper. Toronto, Canada: Synaptive Medical, May 10, 2016.
- Hoang, Kimberly B., Aaron Cheung, and Michael Wood. “Comparison of Light Delivery between BrightMatterTM Vision and Surgical Microscope in the Context of Microscope-Induced Cutaneous Burns.” Technical Report. Synaptive White Paper. Toronto, Canada: Synaptive Medical, April 26, 2016.
- Cheung, Aaron, and Kimberly B. Hoang. “Optical Performance Comparison between Surgical Microscope and Exoscopic Visualization.” Technical Report. Synaptive White Paper. Toronto, Canada: Synaptive Medical, November 13, 2015.
- Hooten, Kristopher, and Kimberly B. Hoang. “Winter Is Here...Where Is Your Helmet?” Neurosurgeryblog.Org (blog), February 21, 2017.