Sanjay Gupta, MD
Emory University Department of Neurosurgery
Associate Chief of Neurosurgery
Grady Memorial Hospital
- BS, University of Michigan, 1989
- MD, University of Michigan, 1993
- Fellowship, The White House, President William J. Clinton, 1998
- Neurological Residency Training Program, University of Michigan, 2000
- Neurosurgical Fellowship in Image Guidance and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Semmes Murphy Clinic, 2001
- Certified Medical Examiner, American College of Pathology, 2003
- Nuclear Biological Chemical Training and Avoidance , NBC, 2003
- War Zone Training for Journalists , AKE, 2003
- Alfred I. duPont Award, 2015
- Research America Award, 2012
- National Emmy Award Winner (x2), 2011
- National Headliner Award, 2011
- JFK Laureate Award, 2010
- National Headliner Award, 2010
- CINE Golden Eagle Award, 2005-10
- NAMIC: Mickey Leland Award. 2009
- National Headliner Award, 2009
- National Headliner Award, 2007
- Clarion Award, 2006-07
- The Chris Award, 2006-07
- National Emmy Award Winner, 2006
- Peabody Award, 2006
- DuPont Award, 2006
- National Headliner Award, 2006
- Atlanta Press Club Broadcast Journalist of the Year, 2004
- The First Patient National Headliner Award, 2004
- National Press Photographers Assocation, 2003
- Presidential Appointment, White House Fellow, 2003
- Bronze Beeper Society Outstanding Resident Teaching Award, 2003
- Galens Medical Honor Society, 2003
- Complicated spine surgery
- Spine Trauma
- 3-D image guided operation
- American College of Surgeons
For the last 15 years, Dr. Gupta has been actively engaged in defining the dialogue regarding health care access in the United States and around the world. While having published on numerous topics surrounding spinal surgery, craniofacial disorders, neurosurgical trauma, transplant immunology, and battlefield injuries, his persistent focus has been on bridging the gap of health care knowledge. To that extent, he has served as a speech writer and fellow in the White House, a prolific author of magazine article and a correspondent for an international news organization.
- Tumialán LM, Lin F, Gupta SK. The use of CT Venography in the setting of penetrating head injury: Technical report. Journal of Trauma, October 2007.
- Tumialán LM, Lin F, Gupta SK. Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis causing Serratia marcescens and Proteus mirabilis ventricular peritoneal shunt infection: Case Report. J Neurosurgery 105:320-324, 2006
- Kellerman, A, Gupta SK, et al; ProTECT: A Randomized Clinical Trial of Progesterone for Acute Traumatic Brain Injury. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2006 Sep 28.
- Pothwula, V, Gupta SK; Battlefield Injuries. New England Journal of Medicine. May 28, 2004
- Foley KT, Gupta SK. Percutaneous pedicle screw placement. Neurosurgical Focus. focus/apr01/10-4-nsf-toc.html.
- Gupta SK., Hoff JT. The Value of Research. American Association of Neurosurgeons Bulletin. Spring 2000 (15).
- Dickinson LD., Gupta SK. Enoxaparin increases the incidence of postoperative intracranial hemorrhage when initiated preoperatively for deep venous thrombosis prophylaxis in brain tumor patients. Journal of Neurosurgery. 43(5): 1074-1081.
- Gupta SK., Rees R., Deeb M. Rectus reconstruction for AICD pocket infections. Journal of Cardiac Surgery. 8:671-677, 1993.
- Gupta SK., Eitzman D. Splenic lymphoma associated with hypercalcemia. JAMA. 10:153-154, 1993.