|1915||The Atlanta Medical College aligned itself with Emory University to create the Emory University School of Medicine. Over the next 15 years, the University standardized the medical education curriculum, rationalized the training standards for physicians, and built Emory University Hospital (EUH).|
|1919||At a meeting of university alumni, it was decided that graduates of the antecedent institutions would become alumni of Emory University School of Medicine.|
|1919||Charles Edward Dowman, Sr., MD, was the first professor and chief of neurosurgery at Emory University and founding member of the Society of Neurological Surgeons.|
|1944||Edgar Fincher, MD, became chief of neurosurgical service at Emory University Hospital.|
|1947||A formal neurosurgery residency-training program commenced at Emory in the Veterans Administration Hospital in Chamblee under the direction of George Perret.|
|1948||Edgar Fincher developed the neurosurgery residency at Emory University Hospital and Grady Memorial Hospital. This would later become the nucleus of the current training program at Emory University-affiliated hospitals.|
|1953||The Emory Clinic (TEC) was established as a source of revenue for both faculty and the School of Medicine.|
|1973||George T. Tindall, MD became the Chief of the Division of Neurosurgery.|
|1978||The neurosurgical residency program was lengthened from four to five years.|
|1984||An Emory neurosurgical service began at Crawford W. Long Hospital, now known as Emory University Hospital – Midtown.|
|1991||Departmental status was granted to Neurosurgery within the Emory University School of Medicine.|
|1991||Dr. Tindall became the first Chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery.|
|1995||Daniel L. Barrow, MD, succeeded George Tindall as the MBNA/Bowman Professor and Chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery.|
|1995||In response to both the marked increase in volume of subarachnoid hemorrhage patients arriving at Emory and the continually advancing treatment modalities for vascular pathology, the Emory Stroke Center was founded.|
Dr. Barrow established the first dedicated intensive care unit for neurosurgical patients in Georgia, recruited Dr. Owen Samuels and neurological intensive care physicians and developed an extensive neuro-endovascular program.
|2002||The Emory MBNA Stroke Center was developed to foster better outcomes for stroke care. As a certified Primary Stroke Center, it provides rapid response in diagnosing and treating stroke patients.|
|2007||Nelson Oyesiku, MD, PhD, FACS, appointed Al Lerner Chair in the Department of Neurosurgery.|
|2008||The Pituitary Center was created to offer a multidisciplinary approach to care in the treatment of pituitary adenomas (tumors) and other conditions associated with the pituitary gland. The Pituitary Center is led by co-directors Dr. Oyesiku and Adriana Ioachimescu, MD, PhD, FACE.|
|2014||Dr. Barrow was appointed to the Pamela R. Rollins chair, while Robert Gross, MD, PhD, was promoted to the MBNA/Bowman Chair|
|2015||Neurosurgical service was expanded to Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital.|
For more information on the history of the department, download The History of Neurosurgery at Emory University (PDF).
Click here for the complete listing of Neurosurgery alumni.