Jason M. Frerich, MD, MS
Department of Neurosurgery, Emory University School of Medicine
- BA, Minnesota State University, 2006
- MD, The Chicago Medical School, 2014
Hometown: Marshall, MN
- Cancer biology: the characterization of epigenetic changes that enable “normal” cells to become cancerous and eventual reprogramming of cancer cells to sensitize them for effective treatment, as well as the study of hypoxia and the role it plays in promoting tumorigenesis and chemo-radiotherapy resistance
- Immediate career plans: infolded PhD during residency training
- Future career plans: post-residency fellowship and faculty position as an academic neurosurgeon-scientist
- 2014: Trustees Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Basic Sciences, The Chicago Medical School
- 2014: Best Oral Scientific Presentation, The Chicago Medical School Research Consortium
- 2012: HHMI-NIH Medical Research Scholars Program Fellowship, The National Institutes of Health
- 2012: Junior Alpha Omega Alpha Inductee, Illinois Delta Chapter
- 2011: Rock Award for Distinguished Student Leadership, The Chicago Medical School
- 2010: MD with Distinction in Research Fellowship, The Chicago Medical School
- 2009: Board of Trustees Scholarship Award, The Chicago Medical School
- Music performance: solo vocalist/pianist/guitarist, small shows and open mic nights
- Exploring the great outdoors: running, hiking, skiing, climbing, camping, and photography
- Ding X, Zhang C, Frerich JM, Germanwala A, Zhang C, Lonser RR, Ying M, Zhuang Z, Zhang M. De novo VHL gene germ-line mutation detected in a patient with mild VHL clinical phenotype. J Neurosurg. 2014;121(2):384-6.
- Vasculogenesis in Von Hippel-Lindau disease associated tumors. Lonser RR, Frerich JM, Huntoon K, Yang C, Merrill M, Abdullaev Z, Pack S, Shively SB, Stamp G, Zhuang Z. Neuro Oncol. 2014;16(suppl 3):iii9.
- Frerich JM*, Mortazavi MM*, Sekhar LN. Multiple aneurysms on inter-PICA communicating collaterals: case report on a rare entity. Cureus. 2014:6(5):e181.
- Frerich JM, Patel C, Dhiantravan V, Glick R. Impaired Diagnosis and Successful Management of a Rare Intra-axial CNS Plasmacytoma in a Patient with Multiple Myeloma. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2014;117:112-115.
- Frerich JM*, Zhuang Z*, Huntoon K, Yang C, Merrill M, Shively SB, Lonser RR. Tumor derived vasculogenesis in von Hippel-Lindau disease-associated tumors. Nature Sci. Rep. 2014;4:4102.
- Frerich JM, Rahimpour S, Zhuang Z, Heiss JD. Induction of immunogenic cancer testis antigens in tumor-initiating glioma stem cells. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:208.
- Rahimpour S, Yang C, Frerich JM, Zhuang Z. Glial-tumor interface in metastatic and primary brain neoplasms. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:9.
- Frerich JM*, Lu J*, Turtzo CL, Li S, Chiang J, Yang C, Wang X, Zhang C, Wu C, Sun Z, Niu G, Zhuang Z, Brady RO, Chen X. Histone deacetylase inhibitors are neuroprotective and preserve NGF mediated cell survival following traumatic brain injury. Proc Natl Acad Sci. U.S.A.2013; 110(26):10747-10752.
- Frerich JM*, Hertzler K*, Knott P, Mardjetko S. Comparison of radiographic and surface topography measure— ments in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis. Open Orthop J. 2012; 6:261-5.