- NIH K01-A1 MH116364 The human amygdala in social processing: circuits, physiology, behavior, and neuromodulation. The goal of this project is to provide critical training in electrophysiology, and to test the scientific premise that the amygdala is directly and causally involved in depression and social processing. Bijanki - Principal Investigator.
- NIH R21-A1-NS104953 Novel strategies for mapping the emotional neural circuitry using human brain stimulation. This research seeks to gain a better understanding of the emotional correlates to limbic brain stimulation. We aim to use this information to help develop better methods to anticipate and prevent neuropsychiatric complications following brain surgery for epilepsy. Bijanki and Willie - Co-Principal Investigators.
- Sleep Research Society Foundation (SRSF) Early Career Development Award 2015: “Effects of Deep Brain Stimulation of Amygdala upon Human Laughter-Induced Changes in Hoffman Reflex and Murine Cataplexy: Proof of Concept for Novel Therapy for Narcolepsy Type 1”. Willie - Primary Investigator.
- NIH R01: "Characterization of an endogenous GABA-ergic mechanism underlying hypersomnia". Willie - Co-Investigator.
- NIH KL2 2016 “Affective bias as a biomarker for neuropsychiatric complications following neurological surgery for epilepsy”. Bijanki – Principal Investigator, Willie – Co-Investigator.
- Sleep Research Society Foundation (SRSF) J. Christian Gillin, MD Research Grant 2014: “Investigation of the Effects of Deep Brain Stimulation of Amygdala Upon Laughter-Induced Changes in Hoffman Reflex, a Surrogate for Cataplexy”. Willie - Primary Investigator.
- Neurosurgery Research Education Fund (NREF) 2013 Young Investigator Award: “Local Field Potential Based Closed Loop Deep Brain Stimulation for Cataplexy in Narcoleptic Mice”. Willie - Primary Investigator.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention – Young Investigator Grant 2013 “Direct electrical stimulation of the amygdala: Impact on suicidal ideation, depression, and anxiety”. Bijanki – Principal Investigator.
- Pfizer Medical and Academic Partnerships (MAP) 2011 Fellowship in Epilepsy: “Functional Mapping with Microstimulation for Presurgical Evaluation of Patients with Epilepsy”. Clinical Fellow.
- Cervical Spine Research Society 2010 Resident Research Fellowship: “Dizziness Associated with Cervical Spondylopathy: Prevalence and Outcome Following Surgical Intervention”. Resident Fellow.
- Neurosurgery Research Education Fund (NREF) 2010 Research Fellowship: “Orexin Neuropeptide Dynamics in Experimental Traumatic Brain Injury: A Key Mediator of Arousal and Therapeutic Target”. Resident Fellow.