Frank Tong, MD
Emory University Department of Neurosurgery
- BS, University of Texas, 1989
- MD, Duke University, 1993
- Residency in Radiology, Emory University, 1997
- Diagnostic Neuroradiology, Emory University, 1998
- Interventional Neuroradiology, Emory University, 2000
- The Neuroradiology Education and Research Foundation, American Society of Neuroradiology NER Foundation Fellowship in Cerebrovascular Disease Research, 2009.
- Emory University Hospital Teacher of the Year Candidate, Diagnostic Radiology Residency Program, 2008
- Duke AOA Research Symposium Outstanding Poster Award, 1992
- Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society, 1986-89.
- Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, 1985
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, 1985
- CT Scan
- interventional radiology
- lumbar puncture
- American Society of Neuroradiology
- American Society of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology
- American Medical Association
I am working to develop a stroke model in Rhesus monkeys for optimizing acute stroke imaging techniques and neuroprotective measures. We are also developing computational simulation of human cerebral aneurysms with Georgia Tech researchers. Clinical research evaluates new endovascular devices and techniques such as intracranial stenting and cerebral aneurysm treatment.
- Saindane AM1, Boddu SR, Tong FC, Dehkharghani S, Dion JE. Contrast-enhanced time-resolved MRA for pre-angiographic evaluation of suspected spinal dural arterial venous fistulas. J Neurointerv Surg. 2014 Jan 24. doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg-2013-010981. [Epub ahead of print]
- Derdeyn CP, Chimowitz MI, Lynn MJ, Fiorella D, Turan TN, Janis LS, Montgomery J, Nizam A, Lane BF, Lutsep HL, Barnwell SL, Waters MF, Hoh BL, Hourihane JM, Levy EI, Alexandrov AV, Harrigan MR, Chiu D, Klucznik RP, Clark JM, McDougall CG, Johnson MD, Pride GL Jr, Lynch JR, Zaidat OO, Rumboldt Z, Cloft HJ; Stenting and Aggressive Medical Management for Preventing Recurrent Stroke in Intracranial Stenosis Trial Investigators. Aggressive medical treatment with or without stenting in high-risk patients with intracranial artery stenosis (SAMMPRIS): the final results of a randomised trial. Lancet. 2014 Jan 25;383(9914):333-41. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62038-3. Epub 2013 Oct 26.
- Wu F, Nicholson AD, Haile WB, Torre E, An J, Chen C, Lee AK, Duong DM, Dammer EB, Seyfried NT, Tong FC, Votaw JR, Yepes M. Tissue-type plasminogen activator mediates neuronal detection and adaptation to metabolic stress. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2013 Nov;33(11):1761-9. doi: 10.1038/jcbfm.2013.124. Epub 2013 Jul 24.
- Hui FK, Schuette AJ, Spiotta AM, Yim J, Obuchowski N, Rasmussen PA, Hussain MS, Cawley CM, Dion JE, Tong FC. Flexible tip guides and intermediate catheters: two center experience and a proposed taxonomy. J Neurointerv Surg. 2013 Sep 7. doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg-2013-010892. [Epub ahead of print]
- Derdeyn CP, Fiorella D, Lynn MJ, Rumboldt Z, Cloft HJ, Gibson D, Turan TN, Lane BF, Janis LS, Chimowitz MI; for the Stenting and Aggressive Medical Management for Preventing Recurrent Stroke in Intracranial Stenosis Trial Investigators. Mechanisms of Stroke after Intracranial Angioplasty and Stenting in the SAMMPRIS Trial. Neurosurgery. 2013 Jan 16
- Nahab F, Kingston C, Frankel MR, Dion JE, Cawley CM, Mitchell B, Hammonds LP, Ayala L, Tong FC. Early Aggressive Medical Management for Patients with Symptomatic Intracranial Stenosis. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013 Jan;22(1):87-91.
- Fiorella D, Derdeyn CP, Lynn MJ, Barnwell SL, Hoh BL, Levy EI, Harrigan MR, Klucznik RP, McDougall CG, Pride GL Jr, Zaidat OO, Lutsep HL, Waters MF, Hourihane JM, Alexandrov AV, Chiu D, Clark JM, Johnson MD, Torbey MT, Rumboldt Z, Cloft HJ, Turan TN, Lane BF, Janis LS, Chimowitz MI; SAMMPRIS Trial Investigators. Detailed analysis of periprocedural strokes in patients undergoing intracranial stenting in Stenting and Aggressive Medical Management for Preventing Recurrent Stroke in Intracranial Stenosis (SAMMPRIS). Stroke. 2012 Oct;43(10):2682-8. Epub 2012 Sep 13.
- Piccinelli M, Steinman DA, Hoi Y, Tong F, Veneziani A, Antiga L. Automatic neck plane detection and 3D geometric characterization of aneurysmal sacs. Ann Biomed Eng. 2012 Oct;40(10):2188-211.
- Derdeyn CP, Fiorella D, Lynn MJ, Barnwell SL, Zaidat OO, Meyers PM, Gobin YP, Dion J, Lane BF, Turan TN, Janis LS, Chimowitz MI; for the SAMMPRIS Trial Investigators. Impact of operator and site experience on outcomes after angioplasty and stenting in the SAMMPRIS trial. J Neurointerv Surg. 2012 Sep 12.
- Case D, Dion J, Wojno T, Tong F. A new application of MRI fusion in angiographic percutaneous intervention for pediatric orbital lesions. NeuroIntervent Surg 2012;4:Suppl 1 A8-A9.