Jeffrey J. Olson, MD
Emory University Department of Neurosurgery
Laboratory of Clinically-Related Neuro-oncology
- BA, Concordia College, 1977
- MD, University of Minnesota, 1981
- Surgical Internship, University of Iowa, 1982
- Neurosurgery Residency, University of Iowa, 1987
- Senior Staff Fellowship, National Institute of Health, 1990
- Surgical Neurology, National Institute of Health, 1990
- Magna Cum Laude, Concordia College, 1977
- Best Scientific Paper, Resident Research Day, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 1985
- First Place Basic Neuroscience Poster Session, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 1987
- Young Clinician Investigator Award, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 1991
- Clinical brain tumor research including studies to improve surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and brain tumor imaging
- Acoustic neuroma
- Glionblastoma (Emory PI for the NCI-sponsored New Approaches to Brain Tumor Therapies-CNS Consortium)
- Low grade gliomas
- Metastatic brain tumors
- Cerebrospinal fluid leakage
- Cranial nerve disorder
- Lesions of the anterior and posterior skullbase
- Stereotactic surgery and radiosurgery
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Medical Association of Georgia
- Georgia Neurological Society
- American College of Surgeons
Recent selections from a total of 212 publications:
- Zhu D, Osuka S, Zhang Z, Reichert ZR, Yang L, Kanemura Y, Jiang Y, You S, HZhang H, Devi NS, Bhattacharya D, Takano S, Gillespie GY, Macdonald T, Tan C, Nishikawa R, Nelson WG, Olson JJ, Van Meir EG: BAI1 Suppresses Medulloblastoma Formation by Protecting p53 from Mdm2-mediated Degradation. Cancer Cell, 33: 1006-1014, 2018. doi: 10.1016/j.ccell.2018.05.006.
- Press R, Zhang C, Chowdhary M, Prabhu RS, Ferris MJ, Xu K, Olson JJ, Eaton BR, Shu HKG, Curran WJ, Crocker IR, Patel KR: Hemorrhagic and cystic brain metastases are associated with an increased risk of leptomeningeal dissemination after surgical resection and adjuvant stereotactic radiosurgery. Neurosurgery, nyy436, https://doi.org/10.1093/neuros/nyy436
- Halani SH, Yousefi S, Velazquez JE, Rossi MR, Zhao Z, Amrollahi F, Holder C, Baxter-Stoltzfus A, Eschbacher J, Griffith B, Olson JJ, Jiang T, Yates JR, Eberhart CG, Poisson LM, Cooper LAD, Brat DJ. "Multi-faceted computational assessment of risk and progression in oligodendroglioma uncovers crucial role of Notch and PI3K pathways.” Nature Precision Oncology 2, Article number: 24 (November, 2018). doi.org/10.1038/s41698-018-0067-9
- Jhaveri J, Chowdhary M, Zhang X, Press RH, Switchenko JM, Ferris MJ, Morgan TM, Roper J, Dhabaan A, Elder E, Eaton BR, Olson JJ, Curran WJ, Shu HG, Crocker IR, Patel KR: Does size matter? Investigating the optimal planning target volume margin for postoperative stereotactic radiosurgery to resected brain metastases. J Neurosurg. 2018 Apr 1:1-7. doi: 10.3171/2017.9.JNS171735.
- Harland TA, Freeman JL, Davern M, McCracken DJ, Celano EC, Lillehei K, Olson JJ, Ormond DR: Progesterone-only contraception is associated with a shorter progression-free survival in premenopausal women with WHO Grade I meningioma. J Neuro-oncol 136: 327-333, 2018.
- Huang RY, Unadkat P, Bi WL, George E, Preusser M, McCracken JD, Keen JR, Read WL, Olson JJ, Seystahl K, Le Rhun E, Roelcke U, Koeppen S, Furtner J, Weller M, Raizer JJ, Schiff D, Wen PY: Response assessment of meningioma: 1D, 2D, and volumetric criteria for treatment response and tumor progression. Neuro-Oncol: 21, 234–241, 2019. doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/noy126
- Olson JJ, Kalkanis SN, Ryken RC: Congress of Neurological Surgeons Systematic Review and Evidence-Based Guidelines for the Treatment of Adults With Metastatic Brain Tumors: Executive Summary. Neurosurgery, Volume 84, Issue 3, 1 March 2019, Pages 550–552, https://doi.org/10.1093/neuros/nyy540
- Nahed BV, Alvarez-Breckenridge C, Brastianos PK, Shih H, Sloan A, Ammirati M, Kuo JS, Ryken TC, Kalkanis SN Olson JJ: Congress of Neurological Surgeons Systematic Review and Evidence-Based Guidelines on the Role of Surgery in the Management of Adults With Metastatic Brain Tumors. Neurosurgery, Volume 84, Issue 3, 1 March 2019, Pages E152–E155, https://doi.org/10.1093/neuros/nyy542
- Lowder L, Hauenstein J, Woods A, Chen HR, Rupji M, Kowalski J, Olson JJ, Saxe D, Schniederjan M, Neill S, Weinberg B, Sengupta S: Gliosarcoma: distinct molecular pathways and genomic alterations identified by DNA copy number/SNP microarray analysis. J Neuro-oncol 143:381-392, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11060-019-03184-1
- Zhang H, Zhu D, Zhang Z, Kaluz S, Devi NS, Olson JJ, Van Meir EG: EZH2 targeting reduces medulloblastoma growth through epigenetic reactivation of the BAI/p53 tumor suppressor pathway. Oncogene https://doi.org/10.1038/s41388-019-1036-7. October 3, 2019.
For a complete listing of Dr. Olson’s publications and other works, please click the Google Scholar logo.