Jeffrey J. Olson, MD
Emory University Department of Neurosurgery
Laboratory of Clinically-Related Neuro-oncology
- BA, Concordia College, 1977
- MD, University of Minnesota, 1981
- Surgical Internship, University of Iowa, 1982
- Neurosurgery Residency, University of Iowa, 1987
- Senior Staff Fellowship, National Institute of Health, 1990
- Surgical Neurology, National Institute of Health, 1990
- Magna Cum Laude, Concordia College, 1977
- Best Scientific Paper, Resident Research Day, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 1985
- First Place Basic Neuroscience Poster Session, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 1987
- Young Clinician Investigator Award, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 1991
- Clinical brain tumor research including studies to improve surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and brain tumor imaging
- Acoustic neuroma
- Glionblastoma (Emory PI for the NCI-sponsored New Approaches to Brain Tumor Therapies-CNS Consortium)
- Low grade gliomas
- Metastatic brain tumors
- Cerebrospinal fluid leakage
- Cranial nerve disorder
- Lesions of the anterior and posterior skullbase
- Stereotactic surgery and radiosurgery
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Medical Association of Georgia
- Georgia Neurological Society
- American College of Surgeons
Patel KR, Burri SH, Asher AL, Crocker IR, Fraser RW, Zhang C, Chen Z, Kandula S, Zhong J, Press RH, Olson JJ, Oyesiku NM, Wait SD, Curran WJ, Shu HK, Prabhu RS. Comparing Pre-operative to Post-operative Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Resectable Brain Metastases: A Multi-institutional Analysis. Neurosurgery. In press, September 11, 2015.
Kleinberg LR, Stieber V, Mikkelsen T, Judy K, Weingart J, Barnett G, Olson J, Desideri S, Ye X, Grossman S.: Outcome of Adult Brain Tumor Consortium (ABTC) Prospective Dose Finding Trials of I-125 Balloon Brachytherapy in High Grade Gliomas: Challenges in clinical trial design and technology development when MRI treatment effect and recurrence appear similar. Journal of Radiation Oncology, in press, July, 2015.
Eaton BR, LaRiviere MJ, Kim S, Prabhu R, Patel K, Kandula S, Oyesiku N, Olson J, Curran W, Shu H, Crocker I: Hypofractionated Radiosurgery has a Better Safety Profile than Single Fraction radiosurgery for Large Resected Brain Metastases. Journal of Neuro-oncology. In Press, April 3rd 2015.
Zhu D, Li C, Swanson AM, Villalba RM, Guo J, Zhang Z, Matheny S, Murakami T, Stephenson JR, Daniel S, Fukata M, Hall RA, Olson JJ, Neigh GN, Smith Y, Rainnie DG, and Van Meir EG: BAI1 regulates spatial learning and synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus. Journal of Clinical Investigation: In Press, February 10, 2015.
Linskey ME, Olson JJ, Mitchell LS, Kalkanis SN: Clinical practice guidelines in the AANS/CNS Section on Tumors: Past, Present and Future Directions. Journal of Neuro-Oncology: 119: 557-568, 2014.
Patel KR, Prabhu RS, Kandula S, Oliver DE, Kim S, Hadjipanayis C, Olson JJ, Oyesiku N, Curran WJ, Khan MK, Shu HK, Crocker I. Intracranial control and radiographic changes with adjuvant radiation therapy for resected brain metastases: whole brain radiotherapy versus stereotactic radiosurgery alone. J Neurooncol: 120:657-63, 2014. PMID: 25189789
Bellail AC, Olson JJ and Hao C: SUMO1 modification stabilizes CDK6 protein and drives the cell cycle and glioblastoma progression. Nature Communications, June 23, 2014, 5:4234 | DOI: 10.1038/ncomms5234.
Shim H, Li W, Holder CA, Guo Y, Hu XP, Miller AH, and Olson JJ: Use of high resolution volumetric MR spectroscopic imaging in assessing treatment response of GBM to an HDAC inhibitor. American Journal of Roentgenology. 203:W158-W165. DOI 10.2214/AJR.14.12518, 2014.
Owonikoko T, Arbiser J, Zelnak A, Shu HK, Shim H, Robin A, Kalkanis SN, Whitsett T, Salhia B, Tran N, Ryken T, Moore M, Egan K, Olson JJ: Current approaches to the treatment of metastatic brain tumours. Nature Rev Clin Oncol, 11, 203–222, 2014.
Olson JJ, Nayak L, Ormond DR, Wen PY, Kalkanis SN: The Role of Targeted Therapies in the Management of Progressive Glioblastoma. Journal of Neuro-oncology, 118: 557-599, 2014.
For a complete listing of Dr. Olson’s publications and other works, please click the Google Scholar logo.