Alexander M. Mason, MD, FAANS
Emory University Department of Neurosurgery
- BA, Miami University, 1994
- MD, Ohio State University, 2000
- Neurosurgery Residency, Cleveland Clinic, 2007
- Cerebrovascular Fellowship, Emory University, 2008
Alexander M. Mason, MD, has joined Emory Healthcare at Emory Saint Joseph’s Hospital in the Department of Neurosurgery. Dr. Mason received his Doctorate of Medicine from The Ohio State University College of Medicine with honors in Neurosurgery and other disciplines. He completed his general surgical and neurosurgical internships at Case Western Reserve University. He went on to complete his neurosurgical residency at Cleveland Clinic, culminating with a year as chief resident. During residency, he was awarded the Charles Plante Public Policy Research Fellowship, given by the Congress of Neurological Surgeons where he worked as a fellow for Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, and was an advisor and significant contributor to the first stem-cell legislation passed in Congress. Upon completing his neurosurgical residency at Cleveland Clinic, Dr. Mason completed a fellowship in cerebrovascular and skull base surgery at Emory University School of Medicine with a focus on cerebrovascular disease.
Dr. Mason will offer a comprehensive and complete neurosurgery line with a patient-centered, multidisciplinary approach. He specializes in conservative case management and forward-thinking evidenced-based treatments. His research interests include cerebrovascular disease and treatment, stroke outcomes and atypical variants of aneurysms, such as mycotic- and pseudo-aneurysms. Dolichoectasia of the cerebral vasculature is also of particular interest.
Dr. Mason is a Diplomat of the American Board of Neurological Surgeons. He is an active member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) and the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS). He has been an invited contributing editor of World Neurosurgery and Neurosurgery. Dr. Mason is a co-delegate and AANS/CNS appointee for the American Medical Association’s Relative Value Scale Update Committee, as well as a regular instructor and author of the AANS-sponsored Coding and Reimbursement Course.
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American Board of Neurological Surgery
- American Medical Association
- Colorado Neurological Society
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Patients’ Choice Compassionate Doctor Award, 2010-12
- Patients' Choice Physician, 2008-12
- Cervical Spine Research Society European Section Mario Boni Award Finalist, 2010
- NASS Meeting Best Paper Award, 2009
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons Charles Plante Public Policy Fellowship, 2005-06
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation Award of Excellence, 2004
- University Hospitals of Cleveland Outstanding Intern Award, 2001
- The Ohio State University Jonasson Award in Surgery for Exceptional Performance in Surgery, 2000
- The Ohio State University Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 2000
- University of Cincinnati Sub-Internship Honors, 1999
- The Ohio State University Emergency Medicine Honors, 1999
- The Ohio State University Pediatrics Honors, 1999
- Landacre Research Honorary Inductee, 1998
- Samuel J. Roessler Memorial Medical Scholarship, 1997-98
- Mason A, Hussain S, Bain M. The significance of the cerebral vascular infundibulum: a historical approach. (Submitted, Neurosurgery, 2015)
- Mason A, Butler S, Hepker M, Larson, T. Non-traumatic, posterior circulation pseudoaneurysm of the basilar artery perforator with spontaneous resolution: Case Report and Literature Review. (Submitted, World Neurosurgery, 2015)
- Burneikiene S, Nelson EL, Mason A, Rajpal S, Villavicencio AT. The Duration of Symptoms and Clinical Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion for Degenerative Disc Disease and Radiculopathy. The Spine Journal 15.3 (2015): 427-432.
- Villavicencio AT, Babuska J, Serxner BJ, Nelson EL, Mason A, Burneikiene S. A Preliminary Report on the CO2 Laser for Lumbar Fusion: Safety, Clinical Outcomes and Technical Considerations. Cureus 7.4; 2015.
- Mason A, Paulsen R, Babuska J, Rajpal S, Burneikiene S, Nelson EL, Villavicencio AT. The accuracy of Pedicle Screw Placement Using Intraoperative Image Guidance Systems: A Meta Analysis. J Neurosurg Spine. 2014 Feb; 20(2):196-203.
- Villavicencio AT, Serxner BJ, Mason A, Nelson EL, Rajpal S, Faes N, Burneikiene S. Unilateral and Pedicle Screw Fixation in Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion: Radiographic and Clinical time. World neurosurgery 83.4 (2015): 553-559.
- Villavicencio AT, Nelson EL, Mason A, Rajpal S, Burneikiene S. Outpatient Instrumented Lumbar Interbody Fusion. J Spinal Disord Tech.2013 Aug:26(6):298-304.
- Mason A, Ayres K, Burneikiene S, Villavicencio A, Nelson E, Beasley K. A Novel Case of Resolved Post-Herpetic Neuralgia with Subsequent Development of Trigeminal Neuralgia: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Case Rep Med.2013:398513.
- LaBorde D, Mason A, Riley J, Dion JE, Barrow, DL. Aneurysm of a Duplicate Middle Cerebral Artery; World Neurosurgery, 77 (1), 201-4, 2012.
- Burneikiene S, Nelson EL, Mason A, Rajpal S, Villavicencio AT. Complications in Patients Undergoing Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion with Deformity Correction for Degenerative Scoliosis and Spinal Stenosis. Surg Neurol Int, 2012;3:25.
- Mason A, Cawley CM, Barrow D. Surgical Management of Middle Cerebral Artery Aneurysms in Youmans Neurological Surgery 6th ed., p. 3862-3875, Edited: Richard.
- Steinmetz M, Mason A, Benzel E. Surgical Exposure of the Peripheral Nerves of the Lower Extremity, Part II in Neurosurgical Operative Atlas Second Edition: Spine and Peripheral Nerves; Editors: Christopher Wolfa, MD and Daniel K. Resnick, MD. Thieme. 2007.
- Mason A, Steinmetz M, Benzel E. Surgical Exposure of the Peripheral Nerves of the Lower Extremity, Part I in Neurosurgical Operative Atlas Second Edition: Spine and Peripheral Nerves; Editors: Christopher Wolfa, MD and Daniel K. Resnick, MD. Thieme. 2007.
- Mason A, Toms S. Hormonal Modulation, Biological Response Modifiers, and Ab1 protein Toxins in the treatment of Malignant Gliomas, in High-Grade Gliomas: Treatment and Diagnosis. Editors: Gene Barnett, MD. Humana Press; 2006.
- Mervis L, Mason A. Arachnoiditis, The 5-Minute Neurological Consult, editors J. Lynn, and H. Newton, p.68-70, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2004.
- Mason A, Hassan S, Butler S, Kohler M, Bain M: Cerebrovascular Infundibula: A Literature review and natural history (Poster). Congress of Neurological Surgeons, New Orleans, LA, 2015. (accepted)
- Mason A: Mycotic Aneurysms: A Retrospective Review and Prospective Analysis. Neurosurgery in Jackson (planning committee: Nicholas Hopkins, Robert Spetzler and Daniel Barrow), Jackson Hole, WY. March 2, 2015.
- Mason A. Using RhBMP-2 in Spine Surgery: The Bad and The Ugly. 11th Annual Symposium Current Techniques in the Treatment of Cranial and Spinal Disorders. Broomfield, CO, October 18, 2014.
- Villavicencio AT, Serxner BJ, Mason A, Rajpal S, Burneikiene S. Unilateral vs. Bilateral Pedicle Screw Fixation in Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion: Radiographic and Clinical Analysis. CNS Annual Meeting, Boston MA, October 18 – 22, 2014.
- Mason A. Cavernous Malformations. A review of the Natural History and Current Treatment recommendations. NEIMS, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio. September 19, 2014.
- Mason A. Brain Aneurysms: The Argument for Endovascular Treatment. 10th Annual Symposium Current Techniques in the Treatment of Cranial and Spinal Disorders. Broomfield, CO, October 26, 2013.
- Mason A. The significance of the cerebral vascular infundibulum: a historical approach. Neurosurgery in Jackson, Hole. March 4, 2014.
- Mason A, Paulsen R, Babuska J, Rajpal S, Nelson EL, Burneikiene S, Villavicencio AT. The Accuracy of Pedicle Screw Placement Using Intraoperative Image Guidance: A Meta Analysis. CNS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, October 19 – 23, 2013.
- Villavicencio AT, Serxner BJ, Mason A, Beasley KD, Nelson EL, Rajpal S, Faes N, Burneikiene S. Comparative Study of Unilateral and Bilateral Pedicle Screw Fixation in Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion: Radiological and Clinical Analysis. CNS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, October 19 – 23, 2013.
- Villavicencio AT, Burneikiene S, Nelson EL, Mason A. Outpatient Instrumented Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion. NASS Summer Spine Meeting, Naples, FL July 31 – August 3, 2013.