Joshua Chern, MD, PhD
Adjunct Clinical Faculty
Emory University Department of Neurosurgery
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
- BS, Columbia University, 1995
- MD/PhD, Baylor University, 2004
- Surgical Internship, Baylor University, 2005
- Neurosurgery Residency , Baylor University, 2010
- Pediatric Neurosurgery Fellowship, University of Alabama-Birmingham, 2011
- Kinjiro Iwata MD Leadership Award for Neurosurgery Chief Resident, 2010
- Texas Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting; Resident presentation - Second place, 2010
- ServiceFIRST award, Harris County Hospital District, 2007
- Kinjiro Iwata, M.D. Award in Neurosurgery, 2004
- National Research Service Award, National Institute of Health, 2000-03
- Genetics Society of America Delill Nasser Award, 2002
- First place poster presentation, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, 2001
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Science Education Leadership Fellow, 1999-2001
- Best place poster presentation, M.D./Ph.D. program scientific symposium, 1999
- National Eye Institute Training Grant, 1998-2000
- Houston Petroleum Industry Scholarship, 1997
- Epilepsy Surgery including hemispherectomy, corpus callosotomy, and seizure monitoring with intradural electrodes
- Congenital Disorders/Chiari Malformation
- Cranial and Spinal Cord Tumor
- Treatment of hydrocephalus, including endoscopic third ventriculostomy, choroid plexus cauterization, and CSF shunts
- Quality improvement initiatives in healthcare delivery and surgical complication avoidance
- Genetics Society of America
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Cervical Spine Research Society
- Texas Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Alabama Association of Neurological Surgeons
Chern JJ, Gordon AS, Naftel RP, Tubbs RS, Oakes WJ, Wellons JC. Intradural spinal endoscopy in children. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 8:107-11, 2011.
Chern JJ, Tubbs RS, Patel AJ, Gordon AS, Bandt SK, Smyth MD, Jea A, Oakes WJ. Preventing cerebrospinal fluid leak following transectionof a tight filum terminale. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 8:107-11, 2011.
Chern JJ, Gordon AS, Mortazavi MM, Tubbs RS, Oakes WJ. Pediatric Chiari malformation type 0: a 12-year institutional experience. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 8:107-11, 2011.
Tsung AJ, Prabhu SS, Lei X, Chern JJ, Benjamin Bekele N, Shonka NA. Cerebellar glioblastoma: a retrospective review of 21 patients at a single institution. J Neurooncol. 2011 Jun 4.
Chern JJ, Tsung AJ, Humphries W, Sawaya R, Lang FF. Clinical outcome of leukemia patients with intracranial hemorrhage. J Neurosurg 115:268-72, 2011.
Tubbs RS, Mortazavi MM, Loukas M, D’Antoni AV, Shoja MM, Chern JJ, Cohen-Gadol AA. Anatomical study of the third occipital nerve and its potential role in occipital headache/neck pain following midline dissections of the craniocervical junction. J Neurosurg Spine 15:71-5, 2011.
Tubbs RS, Lancaster JR, Mortazavi MM, Shoja MM, Chern JJ, Loukas M, Cohen-Gadol AA. Morphometry of the outlet of the foramen magnum in crania with atlantooccipital fusion. J Neurosurg Spine 15:55-9,2011.
Patel AJ, Cherian J, Fulkerson DH, Fox BD, Chern JJ, Whitehead WE, Curry DJ, Luerssen TG, Jea A. Computed tomography morphometric analysis for translaminar screw fixation in the upper thoracic spine of the pediatric population. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 7(4): 383-8, 2011.
Tubbs RS, Kakati D, Chern JJ, Loukas M, Shoja M, Mortazavi MM, Cohen-Gadol AA. Tatsuji Inouye: the mind’s eye. Childs Nerv Syst 2011 March 9.
Tubbs RS, Beckman J, Naftel RP, Chern JJ. Wellons JC 3rd, Rozzelle CJ, Blount JP, Oakes WJ. Institutional experience with 500 cases of surgically treated pediatric Chiari malformation type I. J Neurosurg Pediatr 7(3): 248-56, 2011