C. Michael Cawley, MD, FACS
Emory University Department of Neurosurgery
Emory University Department of Radiology
Interim Head of Interventional Neuroradiology Service
Emory University School of Medicine
- BA, Georgetown University, 1986
- MD, University of Maryland, 1990
- Surgical Internship, Emory University, 1991
- Neurosurgical Residency, Emory University, 1997
- Cerebrovascular Clinical Fellowship, University of Florida, 1998
- Interventional Neuroradiology Fellowship, Emory University, 2002
- MBNA/Bowman Neurosurgical Resident Research Award, 1991
- Alpha Omega Honor Medical Society, 1990
- Magna Cum Laude, University of Maryland, 1990
- Surgical Excellence Award (UM), 1990
- Theodore E. Woodward Prize in Physical Diagnosis (UM), 1990
- Dean's List, Georgetown University, 1986
- Aneurysm-brain and cerebral
- Brain and head injury
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Carotid stenting
- Cerebrovascular accident
- Microvascular surgery
- Neurogenic dysfunction
- Neuropathic pain
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Stereotactic surgery
- Transient ischemic attacks
- Executive Committee, CNS, Ex-Officio, 2007-present
- Chair, Program Coordination Committee, CNS, 2007-present
- Executive Committee, CNS, Member-At-Large, 2005-2007
- Chair, Medical Student Subcommittee, CNS, 2006-2007
- Chair, Leadership Development Committee, CNS, 2004-2008
- Ethics Committee, AANS, 2004-present
- Executive Council, Joint CV Section, Member-At-Large, 2004-present
- Brain Attack Coalition, 2003-present
- NeuroVascular Coalition, 2003-present
- Advisory Working Group on Comprehensive Stroke Centers, 2005-present
Treatment of Cerebrovascular Disorders by both surgical and endovascular means.
- Grossberg J, Cawley CM: ARUBA and Clinical Practice. CV Section News, AANS/CNS Joint Cerebrovascular Section, Summer 2014: 13-19
- Grossberg J, Tong F, Cawley C, Dion J: -039 safety and efficacy of flow diverter treatment for carotid-ophthalmic aneurysms. J Neurointerv Surg. 2014 Jul;6 Suppl 1:A55-6.
- Youssef PP, Schuette AJ, Cawley CM, Barrow DL: Advances in surgical approaches to dural fistulas. Neurosurgery. 2014 Feb;74 Suppl 1:S32-41.
- Derdeyn CP1, Chimowitz MI2, Lynn MJ3, Fiorella D4, Turan TN2, Janis LS5, Montgomery J3, Nizam A3, Lane BF3, Lutsep HL6, Barnwell SL7, Waters MF8, Hoh BL9, Hourihane JM10, Levy EI11, Alexandrov AV12, Harrigan MR13, Chiu D14, Klucznik RP15, Clark JM16, McDougall CG17, Johnson MD18, Pride GL Jr19, Lynch JR20, Zaidat OO21, Rumboldt Z22, Cloft HJ23; Stenting and Aggressive Medical Management for Preventing Recurrent Stroke in Intracranial Stenosis Trial Investigators. Aggressive medical treatment with or without stenting in high-risk patients with intracranial artery stenosis (SAMMPRIS): the final results of a randomised trial. Lancet. 2014 Jan 25;383(9914):333-41.
- Derdeyn CP, Chimowitz MI, Lynn MJ, Fiorella D, Turan TN, Janis LS, Montgomery J, Nizam A, Lane BF, Lutsep HL, Barnwell SL, Waters MF, Hoh BL, Hourihane JM, Levy EI, Alexandrov AV, Harrigan MR, Chiu D, Klucznik RP, Clark JM, McDougall CG, Johnson MD, Pride GL Jr, Lynch JR, Zaidat OO, Rumboldt Z, Cloft HJ; Stenting and Aggressive Medical Management for Preventing Recurrent Stroke in Intracranial Stenosis Trial Investigators.: Aggressive medical treatment with or without stenting in high-risk patients with intracranial artery stenosis (SAMMPRIS): the final results of a randomised trial. Lancet. 2014 Jan 25;383 (9914):333-41.
- Hui FK, Schuette AJ, Spiotta AM, Yim J, Obuchowski N, Rasmussen PA, Hussain MS, Cawley CM, Dion JE, Tong FC: Flexible tip guides and intermediate catheters: two center experience and a proposed taxonomy. J Neurointerv Surg. 2013 Sep 7.
- Schuette AJ, Hui FK, Obuchowski NA, Walkup RR, Cawley CM, Barrow DL, Samuels OB: An examination of aneurysm rerupture rates with epsilon aminocaproic acid. 2013 Aug;19(1):48-55.
- Schuette AJ, Blackburn SL, Barrow DL, Cawley CM: Pial arteriovenous fistula resulting from ventriculostomy. World Neurosurg. 2012 May-Jun;77(5-6).
- Chimowitz MI, Lynn MJ, Turan TN, Fiorella D, Lane BF, Janis S, Derdeyn CP; SAMMPRIS Investigators: Cawley, CM: Design of the stenting and aggressive medical management for preventing recurrent stroke in intracranial stenosis trial. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2011 Jul-Aug;20(4):357-68.
- Hui FK, Schuette AJ, Moskowitz SI, Spiotta AM, Lieber ML, Rasmussen PA, Dion JE, Barrow DL, Cawley CM: Microsurgical and endovascular management of pericallosal aneurysms. J Neurointerv Surg. 2011 Dec 1;3(4):319-23. doi: 10.1136/jnis.2011.004770. Epub 2011 Mar 1.
For a complete listing of Dr. Cawley’s publications and other works, please click the Google Scholar logo.