Nicholas Boulis, MD
Emory University Department of Neurosurgery
Gene and Cell Therapy for Neurorestoration Laboratory
- BS - Summa Cum Laude, Yale University, 1988
- Howard Hughes Research Fellowship for Medical Students, Children's Hospital, Boston, 1992
- MD - Magna Cum Laude, Harvard University, 1993
- Department of Surgery Intern, University of Michigan, 1995
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Neurology & Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Michigan, 1999
- Neurological Surgery Resident, University of Michigan, 2001
- Philip J Bowen Award for contributions to ALS Research, 2010
- Emory University Distinguished Scholar Fund Recipient, 2007
- David Kline Award for Peripheral Nerve Research, 2004
- Young Neurosurgeons Committee: Good Citizenship Citation, 2002
- American Neurological Association Travel Fellowship: Outstanding Scientific Abstract, 2001
- University of Michigan Bronze Beeper, Medical Student Teaching Award; Young Investigator Award; Michigan Association of Neurological Surgeons: Resident Award; James W. Crudup Award, 2001
- Harvard Medical School Harold Lamport Biomedical Research Prize, 1994
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Training Fellowship for Medical Students., 1992
- Peter Theodos Memorial Graduate Scholarship, 1990
- New York Hellenic Medical Society: Medical Scholarship, 1990
- National Guard Association Scholarship, 1990
- Paul Dudley White Fellowship: International Health, 1990
- New York Hellenic Medical Society Lanzounis Research Fellowship, 1988
- Yale University Richter Fellowship for Summer Research, 1988
- Yale Angier Price for Best Psychological Senior Thesis, 1987
- Functional Neurosurgery
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Refractory Pain
- Peripheral Nerve Surgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Society for Neuroscience
- American Society for Gene & Cell Therapy
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- Parkinson’s Study Group: Functional Neurosurgical Working Group
- Society of University Neurosurgeons
- Keifer O, Riley J, Boulis N. Deep Brain Stimulation for Chronic Pain: Intracranial Targets, Clinical Outcomes, and Trial Design Considerations. Neurosurgery Clinics of North America. 2014. 25(4)671-692. PMID 25240656
- Gutierrez J, Raju S, Riley J, Boulis N. Introduction to Neuropathic Pain Syndromes. Neurosurgery Clinics of North America. 2014 Oct;25(4):639-662. PMID 25240654
- Bethoux F, Boulis N, McClelland III S, Willis MA, Hussain M, Machado A, Mychkovsky L, Stough D, Sutliff M, Pioro EP. Use of intrathecal baclofen for treatment of severe spasticity in selected patients with motor neuron disease. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair 27(9): 828-33 (2013).
- Feldman EL, Boulis NM, Hur J, Hazel TG, Johe K, Rutkove SB, Federici T, Polak M, Bordeau J, Sakowski SA, Glass JD. Intraspinal Neural Stem Cell Injections in ALS Patients: Phase I Trial Outcomes. Annals of Neurology, 75(3): 363-73, 2014.
- Passini MA, Bu J, Richards AR, Treleaven CM, Sullivan JA, O'Riordan CR, Scaria A, Kells AP, Samaranch L, San Sebastian W, Federici T, Fiandaca MS, Boulis NM, Bankiewicz K, Shihabuddin LS, Cheng SH. Translational Fidelity of Intrathecal Delivery of scAAV9-SMN1 for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Hum Gene Ther. 2014 Mar 11. [Epub ahead of print].
- Lamanna JL, Miller JH, Riley JP, Hurtig VP, Boulis NM. Cellular therapeutics delivery to the spinal cord: technical considerations for clinical application. Ther. Deliv. 4(11), 1397–1410 (2013).
- Riley J, Federici T, Polak M, Kelly C, Glass J, Feldman E, Boulis N. Intraspinal Stem Cell Transplantation in ALS: A Phase I Trial, Cervical Microinjection and Final Surgical Safety Outcomes. Neurosurgery. 74(1)77-87. PMID: 24018694
- Simonato M, Bennett J, Boulis NM, Castro MG, Fink DJ, Goins WF, Gray SJ, Lowenstein PR, Vandenberghe LK, Wilson TJ, Wolfe JH, Glorioso JC. Progress in gene therapy for neurological disorders. Nat Rev Neurol. 2013 May; 9(5): 277-91.
- Bartus RT, Baumann TL, Siffert J, Herzog CD, Alteman R, Boulis NM, Turner D, Stacey M, Lang AE, Lozano AM, Olanow CW. Safety/feasibility of targeting the substantia nigra with AAV2-neurturin in Parkinson patients. Neurology. 2013 Apr 30; 80(18): 1698-701.
- Boulis NM, Krudy CA, Handy CR, Donnelly EM, Federici T, Franz CK, Barrow EM, Teng Q, Kumar P, Cress D. (2013) Regulated neuronal neuromodulation via spinal cord expression of the gene for the inwardly rectifying potassium channel 2.1 (Kir2.1). Neurosurgery 72(4): 653-661.
For a complete list of Dr. Boulis' publications and other works, please click the Google Scholar logo below.