Nicholas Au Yong, MD, PhD
Emory University Department of Neurosurgery
- BS, University of Rochester, 2000
- MS, University of Rochester, 2003
- MD, PhD, Drexel University, 2011
- Residency, UCLA, 2018
- UCLA Neurosurgery Resident Academic Excellence Award, 2016
- UCLA Neurosurgery Mimi & Harold “Caring Counts” Resident Award, 2016
- Western Neurosurgical Society Resident Basic Science Award, 2016
- NINDS Research Education Grant (R25) Recipient, 2014-15
- UCLA Brain Research Institute/Semel Postdoctoral Travel Award, 2013
- The Axel K. Olsen, M.D. Neurosurgery Award, 2011
- Society for Neural Control of Movement XIX Annual Meeting Fellowship, 2009
- Discovery Day Platform Presentation Contest, 1st place, Drexel University, 2008
- Statistical Analysis of Neuronal Data Meeting Fellowship, 2008
- Discovery Day Senior Graduate Student Poster Contest, 2nd place, Drexel University, 2007
- Marine Biology Laboratory: Neuroinformatics, Woods Hole, MA, Scholarship, 2007
- Annenberg Anatomy Competition Spinal Anatomy, 3rd Prize, Annenberg Center, Phila. PA, 2005
- Discovery Day Medical Student Poster Contest, 2nd place, Drexel University, 2003
- XXII Annual Barany Society Meeting Fellowship, 2002
- Society for Neural Control of Movement XII Annual Meeting Fellowship, 2002
- U. of Rochester Center for Visual Science-Training Grant in Vision Science, NIH-NEI(T32 EY07125-13), 2000-01
- University of Rochester Strong’s Children Research Center Summer Research Fellowship, 2000
- University of Rochester Center for Visual Science Summer Research Fellowship, 2000
- University of Rochester Summer Reach Fellowship, 1999
- University of Rochester Outstanding Housing Program, 1998
- Bausch & Lomb Science Award, 1996
- Connaught Foundation of America Science Scholarship, 1996
- United States Navy Honors Program Certificate of Achievement, 1996
- President Education Award Program: Gold Seal, 1996
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts
- Lu DC, Edgerton VR, Modaber M, AuYong N, Morikawa E, Zdunowski S, Sarino ME, Sarrafzadeh M, Nuwer MR, Roy RR, Gerasimenko Y (2016) Engaging Cervical Spinal Cord Networks to Reenable Volitional Control of Hand Function in Tetraplegic Patients. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. Online first: May 18, 2016 PMID: 27198185
- AuYong N, Ollivier-Lanvin K, Lemay MA. Population spatiotemporal dynamics of spinal intermediate zone interneurons during air-stepping in adult spinal cats. J Neurophysiol. 2011 Oct;106(4):1943-53. PMID: 21775722
- Ollivier-Lanvin K, Krupka K, Au Yong N, Miller K, Prilutsky B, Lemay MA. Electrical stimulation of the sural cutaneous afferent nerve controls the amplitude and onset of the swing phase of locomotion in the spinal cat. J Neurophysiol. 2011 May;105(5):2297-308. PMID: 21389308
- AuYong N., Ollivier-Lanvin K, Lemay MA. Preferred locomotor phase of activity of lumbar interneurons during air-stepping in sub-chronic spinal cats. J Neurophysiol. 2011 Mar;105(3):1011-22. PMID: 21084683
- AuYong N, Piatt JH. Jefferson fractures of the immature spine. Report of 3 cases. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2009 Jan; 3(1): 15-19. PMID: 19119898.
- Seidman SH, Au Yong N, Paige GD. The perception of translational motion: What is vestibular and what is not. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009 May; 1164(1): 222-228. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 19645903.
- Au Yong N, Paige GD, Seidman SH. Multiple sensory cues underlying the perception of translation and path. J. Neurophysiol. 2007 Feb; 97(2): 1100-1113. PMID: 17122319.
- AuYong, N., Keener, A.M., Bordelon, Y.M., Portera-Cailliau, C., Pouratian N., A New Neuroanatomy of Basal Ganglia Circuitry (Chapter 19), Lehner, T., & Miller, B. L. (Eds.). (2016). Genomics, Circuits, and Pathways in Clinical Neuropsychiatry. Academic Press.
- AuYong N, Lu DC (2014) Neuromodulation of the Lumbar Spinal Locomotor Circuit. Neurosurg Clin N Am 25:15–23.